Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Laying It Down
Does anyone out there (reading this obviously) celebrate Lent. I never really knew much about Lent till a few years ago when Amber (my roomie in Tallahassee) and another girl decided to 'give up' desserts for it. Since then I've done a little reading on it, and last year really wanted to celebrate Lent, but couldn't decide HOW, so the moment passed me by! Now here it is again, and it snuck up on me!!! MAN!

I have really wanted to celebrate it for a few reasons. One is the idea of sacrificing something that i enjoy to focus more of my resources on Christ. Another reason is to continue to develop reliance on the Holy Spirit for the discipline it takes to lay something down and commit to something.

I NEED Your Help!
Thankfully I have thought a little about Lent a bit before now, and I want to post my commitment here so that you, my faithful friends, can keep me accountable to this.

One of my favorite hobbies is music. I love it! I can get especially addicted to buying it. A while back I went on a short voluntery fast from buying CDs for various reasons (about a month). It was difficult and after a month thought it was the right timing to allow myself to purchase them again. I thought a fast from again buying any type of CD's until after Easter will be what I would like to lay down. So my fellow servants of the Most High, please keep me accountable in this. I do have one exception to this. In the case of gifts... I am still allowing myself to buy CDs for gifts (birthdays, weddings etc...) b/c I know of several things coming up that I have wanted to purchase music for.

Many people also celebrate Lent by adding in a Spiritual Discipline of some kind. I have also wanted to do this, but haven't quite put enough thought into what I would like to commit to. More on this to come...

So is anyone else celebrating this? If so, how? And why? And how have you come to the decision of what you are laying down and committing to?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home