Friday, February 06, 2004

Morning!
Icey this morning. 2 hour delay at school! I'm sitting here trying to AVOID doing my taxes. I just am not in the mood, but I NEED to get them done. I thought writing here would be a little diversion.

Feminine Appeal
So I finished the book Feminine Appeal: 7 Virtues of a Godly Wife and Mother by Carolyn Mahaney. It was good, gals! Some good wisdom in it. It's based on Titus 2:3-5. The book talks a lot of putting family and others first. (reminded me of some of my favorite Scripture passages From Phillipians 2! - very convicting!) Yesterday I read the chapter called Rewards of Kindness. I think that was my favorite chapter b/c it gave some practical biblical applications. Mahaney talks about having a 'Reputation of Kindness' and desiring to further the happiness of our family. She proposes 5 things that a godly woman should be known for:

PRAYER: James 5:16
In speaking of a family, Mahaney states, No one can pray for them with keener insight or greater compassion. She encourages us to: inform them of our prayers. And then she ties it all up with a quote by Spurgeon: No man can do truer kindness in this world than to pray for me.

GREETING: Titus 3:15

The jist of this is, Do we greet our family (whether it be in the morning, when we arrive home, or when they come home, etc...) with excitement that will make them feel welcomed, loved, and appreciated.

LISTENING: Proverbs 20:5
She states that taking a sincere interest in what individuals have to say is a a primary way to bring them joy.

She adds, Attentive listening entails an eagerness to hear everything with regard to our families' thoughts, feelings, and experiences.

ENCOURAGING: Proverbs 12:25

We should be lavish in dispersal of "good words" about our families. Daily we should bestow much more encouragement than correction or criticism. We should be on the lookout for praiseworthy actions that glorify God and point out these evidences of grace to our family. Specific encouragement of this kind will strengthen their souls and provoke them to godliness.

PLANNING: Proverbs 21:5

We must plan good works

She states, Periodically, I take the teim to just think about each memeber of my family - what that person likes and appreciates, what would entertain or refresh him or her.

Sales Pitch
You may not be a wife or mom yet (as I am not), but even so, I encourage you to go get the book. Not only is it good prep for the future, IT HAS GREAT APPLICATION FOR TODAY! Especially the chapter that I mentioned above! So that's my plug for the book. :)

Alright, I've procrastinated long enough. Now I'm off to do my taxes!

May we walk in kindness today,
Mel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home